Forum Polskiego Stowarzyszenia Gomoku, Renju i Pente

FAQFAQ  SzukajSzukaj  UżytkownicyUżytkownicy  GrupyGrupy  StatystykiStatystyki
RejestracjaRejestracja  ZalogujZaloguj

Poprzedni temat «» Następny temat
TWC 2020
Autor Wiadomość
zukole 

Wysłany: 2019-10-05, 13:04   TWC 2020

Drużynowe mistrzostwa świata w Gomoku i Renju odbędą się w dniach 30.04 - 07.05 w Turcji.

zukole 

Wysłany: 2019-10-08, 14:27   

Informacje o mistrzostwach na renju.net.

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-10-20, 17:46   

As a gomoku fan and someone who has been continuously living in Turkey for one-and-a-half years, I am very much surprised by the choice made by the gomoku committee in selecting the host country and the dates for the world team gomoku championship 2020. And this is a huge understatement.

For those who do not know, it was officially decided by the gomoku committee that the championship will be held in Uset Hotel located at the town of Ürgüp in the region of Cappadocia, Turkey, from 30 Apr to 7 May. Ilya Katsev, a member of the gomoku committee, stated on the Russian gomoku discussion forum that the committee had faced a choice between Turkey and Hungary. Ilya also added that there had been many discussions in the committee about which variant would be better for gomoku.

I am at a total loss as to how a world team championship in Turkey in May is better for gomoku than a world team championship in Hungary in August. I hope that people who voted for Turkey can enlighten me with their wisdom and explain their arguments in Turkey's favor.

First of all, almost all European university and school students are busy in May, so the chosen dates cut out young players from the championship. Young players are our future, so it is highly disappointing to see them excluded by the decision of the committee.

More broadly, it appears to me that the committee did not ask players whether they would go to Turkey in May. As Gergo wrote on the Russian gomoku discussion forum, Hungary will probably not participate as the dates are bad for most of them. I believe that a world team championship without Hungary, the country that holds more individual world championship titles than any other country, is a failure. I am very much afraid that the Poles won't come, too.

Second, I am perplexed by the accommodation cost offered by the organizer, 44 Euro per night per bed in a double room. In Turkey it is very easy to find single rooms for 10-15 Euro per night or so in almost any big city. I myself booked a nice single room with a private bathroom in Istanbul in August 2018 for just about 10 Euro per night. The room was perfectly fine and air-conditioned and offered a nice view of Istanbul. You can rent an apartment in Istanbul for 150 Euro per month, and now the organizer offers a rate of 44 Euro per day per bed in a double room!

I understand that the accommodation price offered by the organizer includes meals, but in Turkey you can nicely eat in cafes for just 6 Euro a day or so. I used to pay 12 lira (about 2 Euro) for breakfast in a cafe at an hotel, and for that price I was allowed to eat as much as I could (salads, eggs, bread, sausage, cheese, olives, tea). Anyone, not only hotel clients, could come to that cafe and have such a breakfast for that price. If you have such a rich breakfast and also buy a big bottle of ayran (1 Euro or so) to gradually drink it during the day, then you barely need to eat anything else before the next day. Furthermore, any Turkish city abounds in tiny cafes in which you can buy and eat a nice meal like tavuk tombik, et dürüm, or Adana kebab for just 1-2 Euro. In a seafood cafe-shop (balıkçılık), you can get a plate full of fried fish (hamsi or istavrit) plus some salads plus unlimited bread for just 15 lira in total (2.5 Euro), and such a lunch always made me so full that I barely needed to eat anything else before the next day. I also used to have a lunch in a cafe in Istanbul by buying and eating a whole grilled chicken for 12 lira (2 Euro); unlimited bread was supplemented for free to the chicken. I usually spent as little as 5 Euro per day for meals and did not cook anything myself. Turkey is a very cheap country, unless you are an ignorant tourist who chooses an expensive accommodation and eats in expensive restaurants located in tourist areas.

So why 44 Euro per night? Why that particular hotel? And why Cappadocia and not Istanbul or Ankara, after all? Istanbul is a beautiful city in which everyone can easily find many nice cheap options to sleep and eat. And finding a cheap tournament hall would be an easy task there. Cappadocia, in contrast, is not a city, but a region in Turkey. The hotel chosen by the organizer is located at the outskirts of a small town, Ürgüp, which is inhabited by about 20,000 people. Selecting a random date on booking.com (30 Oct), I get about 2,400 available hotels in Istanbul and only about 70 in Ürgüp. Accommodation prices in Ürgüp for that day start from 20 Euro per night in a single room, about twice as much as compared to Istanbul. And if you select an hotel in Ürgüp's main part, which is where relatively cheap hotels can be found, you will have to walk 2-3 kilometers to the tournament place, and the same distance back to your hotel, each day. And since Ürgüp is a popular tourist destination and very small, everything may be overpriced there, including meals in cafes. Also, getting to Istanbul or Ankara by plane from Europe is considerably cheaper than to Cappadocia because less flights are needed. To get to Cappadocia by plane from Europe, you need to change planes in Istanbul or elsewhere.

Most gomoku players are young people from Eastern Europe with little savings, so the cost of participating will be the reason not to go for many. I believe that minimizing the total cost of participation (travel + accommodation + meals + participation fee) should have been the top priority for the gomoku commission in choosing the host.

Let's calculate the total participation cost for a Polish player living near Warsaw. He will fly from Warsaw to the Nevsehir airport or to the Kayseri airport, which are the only airports located not far from the tournament place. As I checked on skyscanner.com, a two-way air ticket will cost from ~350 Euro. An alternative is to fly to Ankara or Konya, which can reduce the cost of the two-way air ticket to ~220 Euro, but in this case he will have to travel about 300 km by bus to the tournament town (and the same distance back after the tournament). Traveling by bus is very cheap in Turkey (3-5 Euro per 100 km), but a long bus trip immediately after a long flight will be very tiring, if at all possible in terms of the bus and flight schedules. Of course, the player can book an hotel near the airport for one night and travel to Ürgüp by bus on the next day after the flight, but in this case the additional hotel costs have to be added, and organizing such a trip will be a lot of hassle for an inexperienced traveler who knows little about buses in Turkey. Accommodation in the tournament hotel will cost 352 Euro for 8 nights. Thus the total cost of participating in the championship will be ~700 Euro plus the tournament fee. This figure is more than a month of hard work in Poland unless we are talking about professionals in advanced stages of their careers.

And what will the Polish player pay 700 Euro for? Just a week of gomoku games, two games per day. Speaking in these terms, he will pay ~ 50 Euro for each game. And who will he play these games against if the Hungarians are not coming? Are these games really worth paying that money?

I am all ears to hear what arguments are there to outweigh the above considerations.

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-10-20, 17:48   

I want to tell the gomoku community one famous joke popular in the Soviet Union. Jimmy Carter and Leonid Brezhnev decided to find out who of them is better at the 100-meter run. They met, run, and Carter won. Next morning the TASS publishes the news, "An international 100-meter run was held yesterday, and the American President Jimmy Carter finished last but one, whereas the General Secretary of the Soviet Union Communist Party, Leonid Brezhnev, achieved the honorable second place."

In full analogy, I expect Ilya Katsev to make a post after the upcoming team championship, "The world team gomoku championship was recently held in Turkey. Russia won the silver, whilst Czechia finished last but one."

But who knows, maybe there will be some novice Turkish teams, too, in which case the Russians and Czechs will basically teach them gomoku, with each Russian and Czech player paying the accommodation price of 44 Euro per day for such an opportunity to teach novices.

Any maybe the Turkish players will choose playing renju, not gomoku, as they made such a choice in the last Euroleague season, joining the Renju Euroleague and electing not to join the Gomoku Euroleague. This time the team gomoku championship will be held on the same dates and at the same place as the team renju championship. So yeah, there well may be no one to award the bronze to, just like in the world team renju championship 1998.

By the way, Katsev stated on the Russian gomoku discussion forum that the Czechs were the most active supporters of the idea to organize the upcoming team gomoku championship in Turkey, and I recall that the Czechs were left without any medals in the last world team gomoku championship, just as Katsev himself with his team failed to earn a medal there. Purposely or not, the Czechs and Katsev voted in the election of the host of the upcoming team gomoku championship so as to remove as many competitors for medals as possible, thereby securing medals for themselves this time. Indeed, the Turkish organizer will organize the championship in May, when European students are busy with their studies, and he chose an expensive hotel to host the championship, 44 Euro per night per bed in a double room. The hotel is located on the hill a few miles away from the neighboring small town, so it is impractical to book a cheaper accommodation in the town and walk a few miles uphill each tournament day. A review of the hotel explicitly states, "Şehir dışında tepede yer aldığı için de aracınız olması gerek." (Translation from Turkish: "Since the hotel is located on the hill outside the city, you need a car.") If you still want to look for a cheaper accommodation in the town, you are very likely to find everything considerably overpriced there, including meals in cafes, as the town is very small and is a popular destination for tourists attracted by the landscapes of Cappadocia. On top of that, the place is considerably more expensive to get to by plane than Istanbul and Ankara are, as a stopover is needed. The total cost of participation for a Polish player (travel + accommodation and meals + tournament fee) is above 700 Euro. Such a choice of the tournament place and dates effectively eliminates many young talented Eastern European players from the championship.

I think that if the upcoming team championship were to be held in Budapest as proposed in the other bid, neither the Czechs nor Katsev would win a medal, just as they failed to do so in the last world team championship. In Budapest, the Czechs would be left behind by the Hungarians, by Russia A, to which Kastev would not be accepted, and also by the Poles, who consistently finished above the Czechs in the two world team championships held so far. In Turkey, in contrast, there will be so few Russians that Katsev will be accepted to the main and only Russian team, and that team will fight with the Czechs for the gold as no Hungarians and Poles will come, I think.

At any rate, there has been no rational explanation provided by Katsev or the Czechs as to why they voted for Turkey, despite that I explicitly asked Katsev on the Russian gomoku discussion forum and also sent Pavel Laube and Stepan Tesarik my article explaining my view why choosing the variant offered by the Turkish organizer is bad for gomoku.

Katsev already co-organized one failed world gomoku championship. It was in 2015 in Suzdal, Russia, where only two European players came to and where the B-Tournament was cancelled because of an insufficient number of players. But it is exactly because of such a tournament failure that Katsev achieved there his own highest A-Tournament place, the 9th. In all subsequent A-Tournaments Katsev took the very last place.

zukole 

Wysłany: 2019-12-13, 17:55   

Zaktualizowano informacje dotyczące miejsca rozgrywania turnieju.

http://renju.net/media/to...rnament_id=2213

Usiek 
Prezes

Wysłany: 2019-12-26, 11:01   

Turniej został odwołany. Szczegółowe przyczyny nie są na razie znane. Postaram się napisać coś więcej na początku nowego roku.

angst 
Członek Zarządu
Kapitan IRP

Wysłany: 2019-12-26, 12:25   

Dla uniknięcia wątpliwości - na razie nie został odwołany sam turniej, tylko Turcja zrezygnowała z organizowania obu (najprawdopodobniej) Drużynowych Mistrzostw Świata.

Poczekajmy na oficjalne stanowisko RIF. Być może znajdą się inni chętni (np. o TGWC rywalizowali z Turcją Węgrzy) i Mistrzostwa się jednak odbędą (pytanie wówczas również, w jakim terminie).

Pozdrawiam

Angst

zukole 

Wysłany: 2020-01-12, 15:53   

Drużynowe mistrzostwa świata w Renju odbędą się w Sztokholmie.

zukole 

Wysłany: 2020-02-20, 08:43   

Drużynowe mistrzostwa świata w Renju zostały odwołane.

Usiek 
Prezes

Wysłany: 2020-04-12, 08:47   

Drużynowe mistrzostwa świata w Gomoku również zostały odwołane - przyczyna ta sama.

Odpowiedz do tematu